Published: 05 March 2010
Your relationship with your dog should follow that order of priority. Do not give love without giving the excercise and discipline first.
10 TIPS TO TRAIN A DOG
- CRATE TRAINING - let you puppy sleep in a closed crate - this is the best way to do potty training
- Teach your dog basic commands (sit, stay, come, LEAVE IT - that means NO). Show them how it is done, and use lots and lots and lots of repetition and positive reinforcement (give snacks to a dog when they do something right)
- Socialization rule - regularly let your dog interact with other dogs
- Do not allow your dog on chairs, couches, bed, etc (to establish their rank)
- 5 minute rule: when you come home ignore dog for 5 minutes (establishes that you are the alpha dog)
- Take dog on 2 walks per day, give playtime, plenty of exercise (our dog loves to play tug-of-war with a rope)
- SCOLDING RULE - only scold a dog if you catch them in the act of doing something bad, but never later (because they forgot it already and won't understand why you are mad)
- Never hit your dog! If a dog misbehaves (a) scream at them LOUDLY (they don't like that) and (b) grab their fur with both hands on either side of the neck and shake them while screaming
- Time out rule - if a dog is caught being bad put them in their crate or lock them out and DO NOT ENGAGE THEM for at least 10 minutes - then go back and be nice again
- Let your dog sleep near where you sleep - inside NOT outside - but not on your bed
Remember, your dog needs:
We trained our dog by ourselves with lots of good advice from a book called "How to be your Dog's Best Friend by the Monks of New Skete"
Raising your dog with the Monks of the New Skete