You gain 41 pounds every year. 41 pounds of junk mail.
On the average Americans get 560 pieces of unwanted mail annually, or about 11 pieces a week.
OVER 60 BILLION PIECES OF UNSOLICITED U.S. MAIL SENT ANNUALLY WILL:
- consume more energy in production and disposal than 2.8 million cars
- require 100 million trees for paper
- end up in the trash (44 percent never opened), bulking up landfills
- waste time when you peruse and recycle mail
- cost you money if you succumb to purchasing things you don't need
LOSE THE FLAB!
How do you celebrate Junk Mail Awareness Week? Try some of these simple actions:
1. Remove your name from the Direct Marketing Association list at: http://www.DMAConsumers.org
2. Remove your name from credit card and insurance mailings: Simply "Opt Out" by visiting www.OptOutPrescreen.com.
3. Contact retailers and mailers and ask them to remove your name from lists for catalogs or contests.
4. When purchasing online or subscribing, check the box that says, "Please do not rent, sell or trade my name or address." No box? Make the request by phone, e-mail or letter.
5. Support legislation to allow opting out of ALL direct-mail advertising (like the Do Not Call registry).
THESE SERVICES WILL CONTACT DIRECT MAILERS ON YOUR BEHALF, FOR A FEE:
- 41 Pounds.org: Offers fundraising opportunities for schools. (866) 417-4141; http://www.41Pounds.org
- GreenDimes: Lifetime subscription with 240 trees planted. www GreenDimes.com
- Stop the Junk Mail: Subscription includes catalog removal tool and tree planting. (866) 769-5885; http://www.stopthejunkmail.com/
- PaperKarma is a phone app where you take a photo of junk mail and PaperKarma will automatically contact the Mailer and remove you from their distribution list. The app can stop most junk mail that is addressed directly to you.
Read more on how to remove your junk mail: